So, a couple of books finished since the last time I updated the sidebar.
It took me a while, but I’ve finished Decision at Doona. I found it rather slow going at first and, if I’m honest, rather boring. But once the plot finally got going when the families arrived on Doona, it picked up a lot and I zoomed on to the finish. It won’t ever be one of my favourite Anne McCaffrey books, but it ended up being a solid read and I rated it a solid 6/10.
I don’t know that I had a favourite part, but the image of Todd with his rope tail so he could be like his friend was particularly lovely.
Today, I finished A Confusion of Princes by Garth Nix. This book showed up on my Amazon recommended books list and I thought it interesting enough that I bought it when it came out. While I can’t describe the exact sub-genre it might fit in, I generally like books like this, so it seemed a risk worth taking. It took me a while to read, but I think that was more because I couldn’t find much time to read (it is the school holidays, after all) rather than due to the book itself. When I got to read it, it moved along quickly.
A Confusion of Princes didn’t blow me away, but it was an enjoyable read and I’m certainly not sorry I read it. It ended up rated as 7/10, my standard rating for a good and enjoyable book that doesn’t really raise itself above my expected acceptable level.
And the actual sidebar update:
|Reading with Marcus|
- Fool’s Errand by Robin Hobb
- QI: The Book of General Ignorance – The Noticeably Stouter Edition by John Lloyd and John Mitchinson
- Traitor’s Knot by Janny Wurts
- Running Through Corridors, Volume 1: The Sixties by Rob Shearman and Toby Hadoke
- The Hare with Amber Eyes by Edmund de Waal
- Her Smoke Rose Up Forever by James Tiptree Jr
- The Snow Queen by Joan D. Vinge
Author Reads Progress:
- Mary Stewart: 5/23 (22%)
Next: My Brother Michael
- Guy Gavriel Kay: 3/11 (27%)
- Susanna Kearsley: 3/8 (37%)
Next: Named of the Dragon
- Eva Ibbotson: 4/20 (20%)
Next: A Glove Shop in Vienna
- Sharon Lee/Steve Miller: 5/17 (30%)
Next: Balance of Trade
- Diana Wynne Jones: 5/37 (14%)
Next: Power of Three
- Georgette Heyer: 1/52 (2%)
Next: Powder and Patch
- Anne McCaffrey: 4/43 (9%) <– Updated