Clearly, if I’m going to be reading steadily, even if I’m not managing to comment on each book (though I still want to), I’ll be doing these updates more often than I imagined.
I’ve just finished Cart and Cwidder. It was my next Diana Wynne Jones book to read and I decided that since yesterday (although I guess it’s today for much of the world) was the first anniversary of her death, that would be a good time to read it.
It’s a short, children’s fantasy and I was surprised by just how much I enjoyed it. I find myself wanting to get on to Power of Three quickly so that then the next Dalemark book will be due for reading.
I find I’m not in the mood for long fantasy at present (which is annoying as I wanted to keep up with Robin Hobb’s Tawny Man trilogy with one of my Goodreads groups) so I had been thinking I might read Garth Nix’s A Confusion of Princes next, since I’d just got it for my Kindle.
However, today I was listening to an old edition (2006) of Courtney Brown’s Science Fiction and Politics podcast and the book in question was Robert Charles Wilson’s Spin (I’m listening to the first pair of Spin podcasts as I work my way down the list. I’ll get to the second pair eventually). I’ve had an ebook of that since Tor did their 12 free ebooks on launching their Tor.com website, but I’ve never got to reading it. I’ve heard it’s very good, but it was never the right time. Now I find I want to read it – and need to do so before listening to the second podcast on the book since I don’t want to be spoiled. So on to Spin it is.
|Reading with Marcus|
- Fool’s Errand by Robin Hobb
- QI: The Book of General Ignorance – The Noticeably Stouter Edition by John Lloyd and John Mitchinson
- Traitor’s Knot by Janny Wurts
- Running Through Corridors, Volume 1: The Sixties by Rob Shearman and Toby Hadoke
- The Hare with Amber Eyes by Edmund de Waal
- Her Smoke Rose Up Forever by James Tiptree Jr
- The Snow Queen by Joan D. Vinge
Author Reads Progress:
- Mary Stewart: 4/23 (17%)
Next: Nine Coaches Waiting
- Guy Gavriel Kay: 3/11 (27%)
- Susanna Kearsley: 3/8 (37%)
Next: Named of the Dragon
- Eva Ibbotson: 4/20 (20%)
Next: A Glove Shop in Vienna
- Sharon Lee/Steve Miller: 5/17 (30%)
Next: Balance of Trade
- Diana Wynne Jones: 5/37 (14%) <– Updated
Next: Power of Three
- Georgette Heyer: 1/52 (2%)
Next: Powder and Patch
- Anne McCaffrey: 3/43 (7%)
Next: Decision at Doona